Who can adopt?
- Applicants can be single, married, in a civil partnership or be
an unmarried couple (same or opposite sex)
- There is no upper age limit.
- Single applicants who are not related to the child must
be aged 25 or over. In the case of married couples wishing to adopt
a child to whom they are not related, one applicant must be 25 or
over and the other must be 20 or over.
- Anyone wishing to adopt a child to whom they are related should
contact the Greffe in the first instance.
- Applicant(s) must be domiciled or habitually resident in
- Applicant(s) must not have any declared specified offences
against children or convictions which might indicate unsuitability
to work with children or vulnerable adults (formal checks are then
made if the agency accepts an application)
For those who meet the criteria a home visit is arranged and
further information is collected.